Thursday, April 14, 2011

My psychosexual development speech/essay

Psychology
By Goretti





The oral stage
Definition:
The oral stage is the first stage of Freud's stages of psychosexual development, lasting from birth to 18 months.
According to Freud, the mouth is the primary erogenous zone through which pleasure is derived. The major conflict issue during this stage is the weaning process, during which the child is forced to become less dependent upon caretakers. A fixation at this stage can result in problems with dependency or aggression.
When I was in my Oral stage my mum told me that I used to go after anything that could even slightly resemble a nipple. She nicknamed me “the nipple perve. If she has a gem or something on her shirt i immediately go after it and start sucking. She used to stop me over and over but i always come back. That i also figured out that she wears a belly ring from sitting on her lap and i will literally try sucking it through her shirt! I also used to suck on buttons. The worst of all is that one day my mum got out of the shower and i tried to attack her chest. Haha for real I was a nipple fiend!
This really stressed my mum and she used to ask her friends this filthy quiz that~ “How do I stop this?” she is getting stronger and stronger and more persistent!
since I was her first child and that she never had an experience of babysitting.





The Anal stage
Definition:
The anal stage is the second stage in Sigmund Freud’s theory of psychosexual development, lasting from age 18 months to three years.
According to Freud, the anus is the primary erogenous zone and pleasure is derived from controlling bladder and bowl movement. The major conflict issue during this stage is toilet training. A fixation at this stage can result in a personality that is too rigid or one that is too disordered.
Around this age, my mum started training me on how to go to the toilet, which brought about the child's fascination in the erogenous zone of the anus. The anal stage coincides with the start of my ability to control my anal sphincter, and therefore my ability to give or withhold gifts at will.
At this stage my mum did a lot of work by teaching me how to control my bodily needs which led to a sense of accomplishment and independence, competent ,productive and creative girl.
The phallic stage
Definition:
The phallic stage is the third stage of Freud’s stages of psychosexual development, lasting from age three years to six years.
According to Freud, the genitals are the primary erogenous zone and pleasure is derived from genital stimulation. The primary conflict at this stage is a desire to possess the opposite-sex parent. Completion of this stage results in identifying with the same-sex parent.

At this stage I started gratifying physical curiosity by undressing and exploring my friends and their genitals, the center of the phallic stage, in course of which i learned the physical differences between “male” and “female”, and the gender differences between “boy” and “girl”, experiences which alter the psychologic dynamics of the parent and child relationship.





The latent period
During the latent period, the libido interests are suppressed. The development of the ego and superego contribute to this period of calm. The stage begins around the time that children enter into school and become more concerned with peer relationships, hobbies, and other interests.
The latent period is a time of exploration in which the sexual energy is still present, but it is directed into other areas such as intellectual pursuits and social interactions. This stage is important in the development of social and communication skills and self-confidence.
At this period of time my mum told me that, I entered baby school and become more concerned and curious with peer to peer relationships, hobbies, talents and other hoopy hoopy interests that made my mum so worried about me.
The genital stage
Definition:
The genital stage is the fifth and final stage of Freud’s stages of psychosexual development that begins during puberty. During this stage, the individual develops a strong interest in the opposite sex. If the other psychosexual stages have been successfully completed, the individual will develop into a well-balanced, warm, and caring adult.
In the genital stage, as a child my mum told me that my energy once again focused on my genitals, and my interest turns to heterosexual relationships. The less energy I had left invested in unresolved psychosexual developments, the greater my capacity was to be developed in normal relationships with the opposite sex the more stubborn I was growing to. But, however, i remained fixated, particularly on the phallic stage and my development was probably going to be troubled as i struggle with further repression and defenses.